If you have a steampunk crafty business, or perhaps an old-timey aesthetic, your booth should convey the feeling of your products. This is something I feel that I do quite well and I am quite proud of. Many people stop by my booth just to look at the curiosities inside. This is the last in a series of 3 blog posts on how to recreate 3 of my newest displays for yourselves! Too see Style No. 1, click here & Style No. 2, click here. For Style No. 3, read on!
What You’ll Need: 4 boxes (1 large and 3 small); 4 screws; drill & screwdriver; Murphy’s Oil; medium-large cup hooks, as many as preferred; awl; 3 c-clamps; photo; shoe horn; decorative hook (mine’s actually part of an old naval navigation piece); and decorative metal bracket
A Note on Where to Find Boxes: Flea Markets; Garage Sales; Antique Malls; and ReStores (which benefit Habitat for Humanity)–Look for sewing machine drawers & old produce crates especially. Avoid any boxes with mold, badly split sections of wood, or water damage. They will not be as structurally sound and may break with minor hammering.
- Clean your boxes with soap and water (be careful not to soak your boxes). Shine them with a little bit of Murphy’s Oil. Let dry completely.
- Place your sewing drawers (or small boxes), hook/navigation piece and metal bracket where you’d like them. Mark with pencil where you need to screw your metal bracket in place. Also, mark the corners of your sewing drawers so if you choose for it to be removable you can place it back in the same spot. (I would suggest making your drawer removable because when you transport these kinds of displays, they can shift and it is much easier to adjust a c-clamp than having to re-screw the box on location).
- The Box that you want the hook/navigation piece on: Make starter holes where you’ve marked using your awl (for softer woods) or your drill (for harder/thicker woods). Then screw your hook/navigation piece in place. Set aside.
- The Box that you want the decorative metal bracket in: Repeat step 3.
- Clamp your sewing drawers in place using your c-clamps.
- Make starter holes for your cup hooks and then screw your cup hooks in place to hang your jewelry off of.
- Place your shoe horn in the bottom box (optional).
- Place the photo in your bottom box (optional).
- Hang your product proudly inside!